Mar 1, 2023

Call For Art: Plein Air Architecture Show

GJ Creates and the Avalon Theatre Foundation are seeking artists for the Avalon Centennial Plein Air Architecture Show. Selected artists will have Spring, Summer, and Fall to paint scenes of Downtown Grand Junction and the Avalon Theatre for a show in November 2023. 

  • 10 – 12 artists will be selected
  • Pieces will be for sale – 70/30 sale split. Artist keeps 70%, 30% supports the Avalon Theatre Foundation
  • Avalon Theatre Foundation will purchase one piece for its permanent collection 
  • This is a juried show. Jury includes members of GJ Creates and the Avalon Theatre Foundation
  • This application is closed.

Project Description:

2023 marks The Avalon Theatre’s Centennial Anniversary! To celebrate 100 years, the theater is hosting several special events including concerts, a film series, and collaborations with local artists. The plein air architecture show celebrates the iconic theater and the beautiful street scenes in Downtown Grand Junction. 

This is a juried show and selected artists will complete up to three plein air paintings of Downtown Grand Junction (roughly 1st – 8th Streets, Grand Avenue to the Colorado River), one of which must be of the Avalon Theatre. Artists will have seven months to complete their paintings, either on their own time or at one of several paint out events hosted by the Avalon Theatre. Working with GJ Creates, artists will be granted special access to the Avalon Theatre and other unique downtown vantage points to complete their paintings.   

Completed works will be submitted to the Avalon Theatre in October 2023. The show will debut First Friday in November. The Avalon Theatre Foundation will host a reception and select one painting to purchase for their permanent collection. All other pieces will be for sale at a 70/30 split. Artists will keep 70%, the remaining 30% will go to the Avalon Theatre Foundation. Sales will be paid out by the Avalon Theatre Foundation.

Project Timeline: 

  • Call for Art: March 1 – March 15, 2023
  • Artists Selected: April 3, 2023
  • Painting: April 3 – October 9, 2023
  • Painting Drop off: October 16 – 20, 2023  
  • First Friday Show Debut: November 3, 2023

To apply, please include:

Applications closed Wednesday, March 15.  

Project Disclaimer:

GJ Creates reserves the right to accept, award, or reject project applications. Nothing in this program obligates the Creative District to select specific grant applications or any applications at all. 

Applicants and awardees, not the Creative District, shall be solely responsible for determining applicants’ or awardees’ tax status and tax implications of applicants’ receipt of funds as well as any and all required local, state and federal tax reporting and payment. By submitting, if selected you agree to complete the project in the timeframe provided. For questions contact Dave at the creative district, 970-255-4921 or Bryan Wade at the Avalon Theatre Foundation, 970-778-3088.